Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th

American Flag Stock Image
















Happy Fourth of July Everyone!
This weekend is where we celebrate our country’s IndependenceThe traditions for the day are usually parades, fireworks, and of course food! I love July 4th because it is a no pressure holiday. No need to prepare for it unless you are the one making the traditional potato salad, macaroni salad and those seven layer salads. Let's not forget watermelon is a July 4th favorite and strawberry shortcake is a must. Of course, it would not be July 4th unless you have corn on the cob, which is one of my favorites. You have to admit that without much effort it is a very relaxing day of enjoying it with family and friends. You just eat, relax, and then enjoy the fireworks and it is just an all around fun day.

The evening would not be complete without a star spangled fireworks show. I have a love/hate relationship when it comes to fireworks. As I am getting older, I don’t like the loud explosions, but I love the oohs and aahs when you look up at the sky and it is filled with a riot of colors. It takes my breath away. As a kid, where I grew up, my neighborhood would be filled with the sounds of fire crackers, bottle rockets, cherry bombs, and m-80’s that were so loud they shook and rattled the windows of my house. I use to love sparklers and we would swirl them around and make a windmill of new colors.  I use to be fascinated by those things they called snakes. They were these little capsules, you would put them on the sidewalk and light a match to them, and they would fizzle and smoke into these long black strips that looked like snakes. I thought those were so cool.  

The most amazing firework show I have ever seen was the one that was held at Grant Park on Chicago's lakefront. It was a few years back that I had witnessed this incredible display of red, white and blue, and all I can say is it was magnificent. I had read somewhere where it cost the city of Chicago over $100,000 and it was worth every cent. I do have to say that once you have viewed this firework show it does ruin it for all other shows. They just do not compare. It was mind blowing and then when the music began playing the 1812 overture it was spectacular.  It left me speechless and as that day ended with the fireworks show it made me think of what Francis Scott Key must have felt when he wrote the star spaniel banner. 

At the Adler

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I hate fireworks and will be reading a good book while the men head over to the Roselle display!

    Happy 4th! Good to see you posting again!

    ReplyDelete