Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My First Love

Do you remember your first love?  It was a rush, a heady feeling.  It was a feeling like no other.  It was a feeling that you cannot even describe. It was a time in your life where you got the clammy hands and the nervous feelings. Your tummy was rumbling and your nerves were on high alert.  Remember how being adored you felt and you would smile all day long. I loved that feeling and that made you feel reckless. It is exhilarating and makes you giddy at the same time.

I remember the first time it hit me that I was in love.  I was standing in front of a candy aisle in a store,  I was feeling my heart palpitate, the beating was ringing loudly in my ears, my hands were clammy.  I knew it was love at first sight.  To see such an assortment of chocolate was mesmerizing and right there,  I knew I found my soul mate.  It was Chocolate!

I loved looking at the thinly shiny wrapping and knowing what was in store for me.  I picked up the chocolate bar and just holding it was making my hand tingle with excitement, and then I smiled and sighed at the same time.  The smell of the chocolate permeated the air and reached my responsive nose.  My mouth began to water and I began to drool at what that first bite would taste like.  The first time was exquisite and at that moment, I knew I was hooked. Milky Way, Snickers, Kit Kat, and Hershey Kisses were just a few of my favorites.  The kisses were so small that I could slip one in my mouth and get that rush I needed.  I was addicted and in love. 

When I was a kid, my mom would surprise me with Fanny May Candies and at Easter, the chocolate rabbit was a highlight and so luscious.  Since Fannie May is not the same as I remember, I have a new haunting ground and that is See’s Candies and it is Scrumptious. 

When I walk in to Sees Candies the first time it was an epiphany and the most delicious feeling came over me. I do not know if it is was just the viewing of all the chocolate that heightened my anticipation, or just standing there and smelling all the sweetness around me. It is that rich heavenly smell of deliciousness. I think I began to blush and get goosebumps at maybe being caught in the act of peeking into the glass at the avalanche of all that chocolate waiting for me. There are so many delectable goodies to choose from the mild butter creams to the soft caramels, that melt in your mouth, and another favorite are the milk bordeaux to pecan buds that make the pixies looking for work. I love the nuts with drizzled chocolate oozing from the center.  The smooth fudge that makes your senses come alive make me delirious.  There are lemon filled and coconut filled chocolates too, just to name a few. 

My fantasy would be to have one night in a candy shop with all that chocolate, my true love. I know it sounds erotic, but what a way to go….




3 comments:

  1. Ok, now you have done me in! Thanks Jan, now I want some chocolate. Absolutely right on the first love part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want some chocolate too! Bad, Jan! lol

    xo Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew we were kindred spirits! Only Fannie May filled our Easter baskets and Christmas stockings. And you're right - it's not the same anymore. But I haven't been to Sees yet. Felt like it would be cheating on my first love. Of course, I thought you were going somewhere else with this post when it started. Loved it. What a ... treat!

    ReplyDelete