Friday, May 21, 2010

The Perfect or the Perfectionist Man

When I think of the word perfectionist, I do not have to go to Webster I just look to my husband and he exemplifies perfectionist to a tee.  Is he the perfect man, hardly but he is a perfectionist in every way and if you have eve known a perfectionist or lived with one it is like a never-ending challenge and frankly it drives me crazy! 

I figured he should have married Mary Poppins because she was practically perfect in every way and would suit him.

My husband impressed me when we were dating because I think I confused being a perfectionist with being organized.  Not even close. Being a perfectionist by definition is “A disposition to regard anything short of perfection as unacceptable”

I do not mean he is a freak about being a perfectionist where he has to line stuff up or makes the towels straight he isn’t that nutty but he does have his quirks.  For example, if I lose something I look where the last place I was such as the car or maybe that junk drawer we all have in our house.  Then I figure either it will show up or it won’t.
That’s me very laid back and no big deal, right? 

Not my husband he will go on the hunt until he finds whatever is missing and this will consume him.  He is like a dog with a bone.  This behavior gets me more aggravating as I watch him thoroughly wreck the house like a bulldozer trying to find my missing item.  At this point you can imagine I am not the cheery person I usually am and could care less whatever that item was that I wanted found.  He is like a hound dog and can smell out every crook and crevice to mankind. I like that he is tenacious but could he be more tenacious when it counts like when I want the house painted or when I want the windows washed.

I keep kidding him that maybe he should be this diligent in our marriage and take a stab at that.  He just gives me that look…you know the look.

We use to go shopping together but it is not fun anymore because he has a system when he shops.  Who has a system?  I go in the store, pick up what ever I need, and am finished.  He has to shop the outer aisles first then the inside.  He also cannot just go to one store no he has to go to several.

I fear when I ask him to go run out and pick something up at the store because when he leaves the house he goes on the missing list for half the day. It is not as if he brings home other surprises and goodies no he brings home the one item I have asked for and I have to wonder what took him so long.

He is also a perfectionist with his car, which drives me crazy too.  The windows have to be clean even on the inside.  Vacuumed so well that you see the vacuum lines.
I hate to admit this but his car is probably cleaner than my kitchen.  You could probably eat off the floor of his car.

I love it when my son is in my husband’s car after a soccer game.  My son is grimy and dirty. You can see my husband at that point almost having a meltdown with his facial looks as he is cringing.  He then reminds my son to kick off his dirt before he enters the vehicle and I have to suppress a giggle.  When we get home, we come in the house and my husband stays back to clean up the car and works meticulously at getting rid of any evidence that my son or I have ever been in the car.  It is like watching an episode of CSI when they are reenacting the crime scene.

At Christmas time, he is a crazy man with the lights inside and out.  He puts Macy’s to shame.  He complains and whines every year about doing the lights and the tree. Last year, I decided to do the job myself and with the help of my children but no sooner had I begun, my husband takes over.  I know he does not do this willfully.  He just can’t help himself.  I must admit he does an excellent job.  So, why does he whine and complains in the first place.

What bothers me is that he tells me that he will not do any projects around the house because he is not sure they will be perfect enough.  Does he really think I am that gullible after all these years?  May I ask what wife would believe that statement?  That is when I give him one of my looks and you know that look too.

I told him he needs a 12 step program for this affliction and we are waiting for a call back.

So, unless you are talking fiction there is no perfect man….





2 comments:

  1. I have to say the only thing I am alike with your husband is my incessant possessed brain if it is lost I have to find it until I am exhausted! Otherwise, yeah the other stuff would drive me nuts! The perfection excuse of projects around the house is LOL funny! Yeah since when did they think we fell off the stupid tree. Mine likes to make the excuse, "What is wrong with a little green in the yard? Of course that is the time I know and yet again, I will be doing the yard work myself!
    Karen A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, I have to have the towels hung up just right! lol Seriously. I read an article in Psychology Today and they said that procrastination is really a form of perfectionism. If you don't think you'll do the task perfectly, you just avoid doing it at all.

    ReplyDelete