Monday, April 26, 2010

The Nightmare Before Prom


Have you ever had a nightmare and you could not wake up?  Well, this past weekend I was having a nightmare but I was wide-awake.

I didn’t think buying a prom dress was going to be this big of a deal. It was like having root canal without the novocain. 

We drove and shopped every store in a 50-mile radius and fighting the windy and wet weather.  It was the most exhausting and grueling 2 days of my life. I was dehydrated, tired and my whole body ached. I felt like I was in a triathlon.

It all began when my daughter did not want to go to the prom and I thought great I dodged that bullet and then about a week ago she changed her mind and decided to go to the Prom.

Now, I do remember people saying that they began looking for dresses back in December and February. I heard the same rumor but thought I was not going to be one of those Mom’s who are kooky enough to engage in this nonsense….well I am the Kooky Mom and what adventure this has been?  I am frazzled and at my wits end.

It has been like being on one of those spinning rides, strapped in and can’t get off and just feeling dizzy and nauseas.  We began with going to bridal shops because that is so in now and what a racket that is.  It is like picking out a wedding gown and the dresses are just as expensive.  My daughter wanted all those beads and lots of tulle.  Half the dresses are samples and would not even fit a Barbie doll. 
When she finally found one that fit I was transported back to that magical place called OZ.  My daughter was standing there and turned into Glinda the Good Witch from the North. If my daughter had asked if I was, a good witch or a bad witch I would have taken her head off and she would have known I was the Bad Witch!  I thought for a moment she was going to break out in song singing, “come out come out where ever you are?”  

What is with proms and buying prom dresses?  You would think your daughter is going to a coronation but there is no crowning or meeting the Queen.  Of course, with high schools today maybe there are more queens now than when I went to school

My daughter then did not want anything poofy, which I am not sure, is even a word. Nevertheless, poofy or not, is saying you don’t like ketchup with your fries.  All these dresses are poofy and so we went on the hunt again.

Some of the dresses that we looked at that were not Glinda style were strapless, halter, open back and some even showed the sides and tummy.  I told my daughter if she were going to show that much skin she might as well pose for playboy.  I guess I wanted to know whom are the designers making these dresses so our daughters can look so grown up and so slutty at the same time?

The highlight was being in Macy’s when it closed and being in the dressing room and all the lights went out.  I thought it was a blackout and my only thoughts were that I was glad I didn’t have to go to the rest room and I wish I had water.  My daughter began to panic and I began to tell her I had closed more places in my life than I cared to admit but then again Macy’s didn’t say anything about last call!

Needless to say, we did not find the Prom dress.  Did I mention the prom is this Friday!

The search is still on….

3 comments:

  1. oh no, i hope you find one today!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long ago was Rita's prom? Oh yeah, about 14 years ago! Ugh!! I got lucky on the prom dress shopping with Rita. We went out of town to buy it, but she loved the first dress she tried on and bought it on the spot. Less than seventy bucks. That was a great price even 14 years ago. Now, if you want to go into the story of the wedding...how long do I get? The dress wasn't the nightmare, but the rest of the wedding plans were!! Good luck! Maybe if this adventure is your nightmare her wedding won't be so bad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny, Jan! Well, not funny for you at the time!

    Happy dress hunting!

    hugs,
    Susie
    www.motherhoot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete