Monday, April 12, 2010

Who doesn't like Dr. Seuss?


I was wondering who in the world does not know who Dr. Seuss is?  If you did not grow up with Dr. Suess, you certainly had to hear about him when you began introducing books to your children or when your child began kindergarten.  Yes, there really was a Dr. Seuss.  He was not really a doctor, but he had been writing books for more than 60 years. He does honor his mother, which I love, and he gives her credit for the rhymes in which he wrote because his mother always sang rhymes to him before bedtime.  His birthday is March 2.

The name Suess is a pseudonym that he chose and it is fitting for him, don’t you think?  Suess was his middle name and his mother’s maiden name.



Dr. Suess is one wacky guy.  It boggles my mind how he came up with some of his funny books.

The one I am sure you all remember is the famous Cat in the hat and my favorite Green Eggs and Ham.  Just reading it aloud is a tongue twister. It is music to my ears even at my age.



We have all memorized lines from the books with that rhythmical and musical tone.  It is nearly impossible not to remember and laugh when you hear them.  I love remembering my children learning to read by hearing these funny rhymes and repeating them over and over again
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant’s faithful, one hundred percent."



What I enjoyed about Dr. Suess is that he taught us some important messages in life how to be caring and loyal. I love the most important message in my favorite cartoon “How the Grinch stole Christmas. I love the part in the movie where “in Whoville they say the Grinch’s small heart grew three sizes that day” It is goodness over evil and goodness wins. I love that the Grinch becomes a kind and loving friend to all and that is what we should strive in our everyday lives.  It would make for nicer people in the world too.  It is a lesson that has stuck with me all my life.


Here are a few quotes from Dr. Seuss that I love…

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."

 "And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed"

Good life lessons....







3 comments:

  1. To add about his POWER is that not only in English can we enjoy it but also in other languages. We do not even need to understand another language because we know his books so well. When I taught Spanish – I read to the younger kids – Green Eggs and Ham in Spanish and they LOVED it. When I read it they laughed and they new exactly what I was saying without understanding the Spanish language – now that is magical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love Dr. Seuss. And I really really like reading him aloud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little Bear loves reading the Dr. Seuss books, especially now that she can read them to herself! She loves Green Eggs And ham! My favorites are One Fish Two Fish, and Fox In Sox!

    ReplyDelete