Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dancing With Myself

Does something happen to you when you hear music? Do you begin tapping your foot or maybe tapping your fingers?  Does it make you want to get up and dance or sway your body to the melody? 

When driving, do you sometimes find yourself tapping on the steering wheel to a familiar tune? If it happens to be a great song, you have to turn it up and then we all want to begin singing the song or maybe humming along.

That’s me I love music and love dancing. I have to admit sometimes I love dancing by myself. Sometimes I can dance or flitter around my house and just love listening to music I turn music on and turn it up loud and begin dancing.  It makes me feel exhilarated and I feel energized.  

I love all kinds of music from Sinatra to Anka to Four Seasons, any kind of Motown, Black eyes Peas and even Timbaland.  The music takes me away and relaxes me. I love all types of music but what I think really got me started and stirred my sensations was to listen to the voice of Billie Holiday and the singing makes me sway to that kind of bluesy music. It is torchy. It mellows me.

When I was a kid, I would watch American Bandstand with Dick Clark. I loved to watch all the couples dancing and would dance away with them or watch Soul Train and see the couples dance their way down alone or with a partner with their outrageous dance moves. Motown was by far the greatest dancing music. 

I love watching dancing movies too such as Dirty Dancing, Step Up, Footloose, Flashdance, Saturday Night Fever, and Shall we dance, to name just a few.

I loved watching dance movies since I was a kid like the old black and white movies of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers too. They danced divine together. Somehow, Fred did not have that sex appeal that maybe John Travolta playing Tony Manero did in Saturday Night Fever or Patrick Swayze as Johnny Castle did in Dirty Dancing.

I went to a wedding a few weeks ago and was taken back at some of the dirty dancing they do today and it is that age between 17 and 30.  This kind of dancing makes you just a little uncomfortable to watch. I began watching a couple get down and dirty and it made me feel like being a voyeur watching two people in a lewd act, it was not fun to watch and to me that is not dancing. 

I love to watch the artistry of dancing. You get a sense of watching two people immerse themselves in each other and dance together with such finesse.

It brightens my day to listen to music and changes my mood from good to fabulous in seconds.

I know it sounds wacky to dance by your self and when I sometimes dance with my children they look at me wonder what the heck I am doing.  I am sure in their minds I may look like I am having a seizure when I am dancing, but I tell them when I dance, it makes me smile.

 Really dancing by myself makes me ecstatic….

No comments:

Post a Comment