Tuesday, May 25, 2010

To Dream Per Chance

Do you ever remember someone saying to you before you went to sleep, “Pleasant dreams”? I always wondered why we used that term?

When I go to sleep and wake up, I have often dreamed the night before.  I envy my children who can get up from sleeping and remember their whole dream.  I find that amazing because there are times I do not even remember dreaming at all. It depends on how exhausted I am if I can even remember dreaming.

Have you ever been sleeping and if you have a radio on that wakes, you up it's now incorporated in your dream.  I find that strange.

I have always wondered why we dream. Is it our subconscious mind telling us something?  Is it to un-clutter our mind so we can distress our selves?  If this is our subconscious mind is it our fears that we dream about?  I know when I was pregnant I had all sorts of strange dreams and the doctor said it was normal and very common. When I eat real late at night I sometimes wake up with nightmares that are so real and they are frightening.   I keep asking myself how come we dream.  Am I dreaming an image, or some emotion that I experienced during the day?

I do know that I can get really creative and daring in my dreams too. I am so brave in my dreams and I say things I might not say otherwise.  It is frustrating when we dream and it is a great dream and as soon as you wake up the dream goes out of our head.  They say to keep a pad of paper near you bed and as soon as you are awake write the dream down.

How about when you dream of people who have died?  That is sometimes spooky or sometimes very peaceful? Is that because that is in our subconscious or what? I often wonder when we see people who have died are they coming for us.

What about when you have those dreams that you are falling? You end up waking up before you hit bottom? 

I have a friend who has dreamed she died and I find that disturbing.

How many dreams do you think we will dream in a lifetime?

I know there are so many books on the subject about dreams and what they mean. Sigmund Freud's theory of dreams suggest we dream of unconscious desires, thoughts, and sometime motivations.  He also stated that dreams are somehow our fulfillment's of our repressed desires or wishes.  According to Freud, our dreams always mean something. Personally, I do not know if I want to get that analytical with my dreams and think there is a motivation to my dreams.

I do not know if I want my dreams interpreted. I know it could be very therapeutic. 

It  might mean I may need some serious couch time…



No comments:

Post a Comment