Monday, June 21, 2010

First Day Of Summer

It is official I am in love with summer! We kick off today with it being the first day of summer. Another name is summer solstice.  What I love about today is that it is the longest day of summer and the longest period of daylight.  Of course, it looks like rain instead of blue skies and sunny today!   

I have always loved summer since I have been a little kid. I guess because it meant summer vacation had arrived and sometimes we did go on vacation. We did not take any exotic trips but there were many car trips.  I never liked going anywhere in the car because we never had air conditioning, I was always in the middle of my brothers, and they always had the window seats.  There did come a time when I use to get carsick. I am not sure if it was psychological me being carsick or maybe it was just being in the car with my family. When I was carsick, it usually set the tone for the trip.

We would go to some place in Indiana. I think because of the experiences that I have had I blocked out the location where we stayed. There would always be water and lots of sand and one of my favorite things to do is go swimming. I loved it when it was hot and you would jump into the water and it would be freezing. It was so refreshing!  

We would go swimming and boating which I loved doing.  One trip my brothers scared me with stories of bears being close by our cabin. I envisioned Grizzlies attacking us while we slept. I know I did not sleep at all that week. When I was back in school, I learned bears did not live in Indiana. 

Another time we went to Indianapolis my father took us because he had business there so we made it a work vacation.  My brothers were teaching me how to dive and for the life of me, why my mom allowed them to teach me anything shows she did not have a clue to raising kids. She coated herself in baby oil and lay in the sun being the sun goddess of Indianapolis.  She apparently didn’t think anything could happen until I jumped from the diving board to the side of the pool and clunked my chin several times to help me stop.
I finally stopped my fall with my chin and what a casuality  There was so much blood and this was when people were not afraid of blood.  The crisp blue water now was now the picture of the red sea.

After about 100 stitches, okay so I am exaggerating a bit. There were only about twenty-three stitches my chin looked trussed up and ready for Thanksgiving dinner.   

Before the stitches, it was a free time in my life with no cares and no worries.  Not anymore I still love the water but very careful around diving boards.

I still love summer and it is my favorite season…


Happy summer ~










1 comment: