Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Summertime

We all remember Alice Cooper singing if you want to call it that, “Schools out for summer” I feel like screaming too when I think of school ending.   

I cannot believe school is ending.  This year flew by and isn’t it amazing that the years are flying by quicker. It is somewhat bittersweet though when you think of school ending because you a had a year of making new friends, new teachers that you have pretty much gotten to know. It has been a year of growing up for your child and watching them become more responsible.  It is fun to see your child make new friendships too.

What do they say be careful what you wish for? 

Let’s face it though when you think of summer, it is really not a vacation for us parents, is it?  I mean let’s be serious it is more of a hassle to have our children home 24 hours a day instead of say a couple hours after school and then the evenings. Now we have a new job this summer and that is to entertain our kids.  You know what I mean the whining begins with "take me here" and "take me there."  Then the ranting starts about two weeks in to the summer that they are bored. I love how kids tell you they do not have to go to bed because it is summer vacation as if they have to remind us of that.  With my kids, they think because it is summer that no rules apply and that there are new summer rules.  I am not sure what those rules are but I am sure I will be informed of those soon.

It is a lot different when we were kids or at least I was a kid we left at 8am in the morning and did not show our faces until dinnertime.  We did not have to call in because there were no cells and we did not get to go into anybody else’s house and play video games. Play dates, what were they? We played outside, played baseball, rode bikes, hung out all day in front of somebody’s stoop or even hung out at the park but it was fun.  Sometimes we went swimming at the beach…yes we could take a bus by ourselves and go to the beach in Chicago.

Do you really think I trust my children to do any of those things alone?  My job in the summer is to be warden. I do make the meals and let the children run around the pen for a while.  I do have them do some activity for awhile but I watch them very closely.  When one of my kids starts with whining or fighting they do get a time out, which is solitary confinement and that, is for at least 10 to 20 minutes.  However, when my kids are really acting up I am pleading for solitary confinement.  

I have a top – security complex where I check the doors and all phones and if need be I confiscate contraband like cell phones, play station, psp, computers games, television because you have to admit some of the television they are watching is eating away at their brain cells.

I have to admit I love seeing my stress free children with no homework, no projects and no worries about school for several months.  They turn into calm fun loving kids not those zombies that walk and talk about school stuff.

We do not have any plans except relax, relax and maybe relax some more so it should be a happy summer!

Happy summer to all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Summer bites! lol Yesterday I told the kids the rules: you can sleep as late as you want, stay up as late as you want, but no video games until after dinner. They heard "no video games in the morning." Ingrates! lol Today I had a possible 911 call...and it's only day 3.5 of summer vacation. I need a valium!

    ReplyDelete